Send Message
news

LED lights can catch fire.

August 30, 2023

Since LED lights are a common feature in millions of homes and businesses around the country, many individuals have expressed concern about their flammability. LED lights, thankfully, seldom catch fire. The cause is that they work at low temperatures.

 

Overheating is one of the most common causes of light bulb fires. If the bulb overheats, it can damage the fixture, melt it, or heat the surrounding area to the point of lighting a fire. Conventional bulbs occasionally overheat, causing interior damage and eventually lighting a fire. This is not the case with LEDs.

 

After three minutes of operation, LED bulbs reach 91oF (32.6oC). Despite the fact that they may feel warm to the touch, LED lights operate at a significantly lower temperature than other types of lights, which we will look at next.

 

What Makes Incandescent Lights Riskier Than LEDs

 

After barely three minutes of use, incandescent light bulbs reach an astounding 428oF (216oC)! When compared to LED lighting, incandescent bulbs produce nearly 6.6 times more heat than LED lights.

 

LED lights are substantially safer than their predecessors since an overheated bulb is directly responsible for a vast portion of light-related fires. Their lower working temperature minimizes the likelihood of fires caused by overheating and makes it much less probable that someone will be burned when touched. As a result, they are also safer. If you've ever been burned while changing a light bulb, you're well aware of the strong heat they produce. Many LED bulbs have heat sinks built in to dissipate excess heat from the light source. In the unlikely event that the bulb overheats, it dims rather than melting or harming the internal components. LED lights are also made from more durable, vibration- and shock-resistant materials. This lowers the likelihood of an LED breaking or becoming damaged.

 

 

LED lights can be left on for days. If so, how long will it take?

 

LED lights that are well-built can be left on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They have a relatively long lifespan and are generally safe due to their low risk of overheating. LED lights typically have a lifespan of 35,000 to 50,000 hours. LED bulbs convert around 90% of the energy into light, while 10% is transformed into heat. Unlike previous bulb types, LED lights primarily turn their energy into light rather than heat.

 

 

LED lights, in principle, pose no fire risk even when left on for lengthy periods of time. However, this does not mean you should, especially because it will continue to consume energy even while not in use.
As with any electrical equipment, wiring faults or mishaps have the potential to ignite a fire. However, LED lights are relatively safe and can be left on for lengthy periods of time without fear of the light catching fire.

latest company news about LED lights can catch fire.  0

latest company news about LED lights can catch fire.  1